Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Journal # 7 August 19, 2009 (but actually the 18th) at 12:35am




Journal # 7
August 19, 2009 (but actually the 18th) at 12:35am
This day has been super overwhelming at times, super exciting, nerve-racking, and joyful. Today we left from Blue Ridge in PA to begin our local orientations at our placement sites. We drove out this morning after saying our good byes to our new house, the excitement permeated the car as we got closer and closer to the place we would be spending our time over the next year. We had seen pictures of the house on Google, but we did not have any idea of what would be inside. We rolled up after some ridiculous traffic and a taste of the sticky humidity which clung onto the skin like syran wrap. We had arrived. We pulled up all our things into the house and immediately went on a tour of the place. The first floor is the living space, with a couch (2) kitchen which was well stocked, and a dining room. The second floor was the bedroom space with what we thought was 3 bedrooms at first with another bedroom in the attic. At first we thought that Lucas and I would share the bedroom in the attic but we later discovered that there were actually 4 rooms on the second floor not 3. My room which we decided on later was the room which I had been wanting ever since we stepped into the hosue. It is covered on 3 sides by windows and lets in a lot of light, it kind of feels like a greenhouse without the glass panals on the roof. The other house was also able to come over later and we had some former JV’s come and talk to us about maintaining safety in the city, don’t be stupid. We ended with a good talk about how to have fun in DC without spending a lot and how to make a successful community. Overall I’m super tired right now which is why I am typing so crappily. I also had this weird thing happen today where my whole body was in pain and it was difficult for me to move around, I didn’t know what was happening but I just kind of rode it out, hoping for it to go away. It did after an hour or so, I shaved for the first time in 5 days which felt amazing. Right now I’m about to pass out. Tomorrow (until).

1 comment: