Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Journal #11 August 23, 2009


Due to my excessive tiredness yesterday, I did not write a journal specifically for the events of the preceeding day, as I tell about it, you will understand why I just passed out at around 11pm while everyone else was still awake. I awoke that morning, after going to bed at around 4:30am, at 8:30. Somehow the heat combined with the brightness of my room just kick started my day and I was up. I went downstairs to the mess which was in the kitchen from the evening before and began to clean up a bit. It wasn’t really a big deal, I knew that it had been left because we had departed immediately after dinner so there wasn’t any time. Still, a mess made me annoyed so I began to clean. Soon the rest of the house (who had gone to bed around 11 or 12) began to wake up. We all hung out in the kitchen telling stories and eating, while cleaning too. Ah, yes, it was the day that we made the trek out to the library to get our library cards. We left and I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect in terms of the walk but damn, it was suuuuper far! However, once we got there it was all worth it (well, mostly worth it) as the portable library (the new one is under construction) was air-conditioned. It felt like we had stepped out of hell and into heaven. It just felt sooooo amazing that I almost collapsed in a heap of joy. But, work was at hand. I was there to get a new library card, to check out my first book, and use the internet for reason which did not help my applications come along. I read blogs and checked email, suuuuuper productive. We walked back and I timed the walk from the metro station to our house, 17 minutes if taken at a semi-fast walk. This information will prove itself useful I’m sure. We got back just in time to eat a wonderfully prepared meal (Grilled Cheeses by Emily), and head off once again for our DC tour. The FJV (former Jesuit Volunteers) from the DC area had offered to give us a basic DC tour so we went to meet them at the Smithsonian Metro Entrance. We began our tour with a walk toward the monument, took a left and walked behind it to the Jefferson Memorial where we did not just see a statue of TJ, or read the inscriptions on the wall, noooo, prithe we did not just do that. We were fortunate enough to be caught in a rain storm and even more fortunate to have a bored Park Ranger nearby who used the rain as a way to get people to go on his tour. It wasn’t a tour so much as a lecture into TJ and all his acquaintances lives. Thomas Jefferson, as presented, did not just win an election, he “will win one of the most disputed elections in history.” Everything presented was in the future tense which became funny after the first mentioning of this man who would become one of the most well known presidents of the United States. After the Thomas Jefferson, as presented, did not just win an election, he “will win one of the most disputed elections in history.” Everything presented was in the future tense which became funny after the first mentioning of this man who would become one of the most well known presidents of the United States. The rain did not stop, for 30 minutes we sat/stood in a cramped room while we learned more about TJ than some might learn in a lifetime of study. With the rain continuing to fall we trudged through the storm to the shelter of the American History Museum, and walked through the Pop Culture section before getting bored and heading back. It was a fun expedition but I was super tired after, hence why I just passed out after we got back. It needed to happen.
The next day (well yesterday as my clock is now telling me) was a lot of fun, I woke up and everyone had already left for church, I had plans to meet my friend Carl at Adam Morgan for Lunch so with my backpack and necessities for the day in tow I left as well. It was my first “alone” experience on the metro and I wouldn’t have made it without my handy pocket map of the metro system. At first I couldn’t understand how the whole thing worked but now I’m starting to get the hang of it. After transferring and arriving at my destination right on time, I had lunch with my good ol friend and caught up on many things, how the high school friend group was doing, how we were doing, we griped about our lives and commiserated in our state of psudo poverty, the hot weather, etc. After this I headed to the National Zoo and walked around a few exhibits before I played soccer at the Marine Barracks for a scrimmage for a team in the area. I had such a great time today being independent and spending most of the day alone, it was reassuring to know that I can find my way around this city and that I am not completely helpless when it comes to urban living. Sooooo tired right now, time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment