Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The journal that happened after not journaling for a week (AKA Journal # 14)


So its been a while since I've updated this thing, I know what you're thinking "YOU SLACKER," well, that's partially true, I have been conciously slacking on some level with the blog thing, but on another level, so much has been happening every day with work, cleaning, running, hanging out, and keeping up with day to day things that I've just been too exhausted at the end of the day to put in that extra effort to plop myself in front of a computer and write about the day. I believe the last time I journaled was 3 or 4 days ago. Of the notable things that have happened, work has been better every day. On friday I started to feel more comfortable with calling random people asking for them to please send over their patient records, and doing other phone stuff. It was weird at first because I had no idea what I was talking about. I suppose I will talk about this later.
The weekend, to be summed up in short, felt like my first weekend in a familiar place. The speed at which I've aclimated to the city seems errily fast, I think that spending time in an urban area for college made the transition that much easier. I'm also coming to the realization that a bike in this city is key, I made a trip which would have taken 45min-1hr by Metro take only 25 minutes. I say this as our house has gone from 3 workable bikes to 1. I do have hope though, a friend of mine is going to lend me his bike for the year, so my ventures out into the city will become that much easier, as long as I don't get hit by a car.

So i guess to briefly go over what has happened these past days, I've partied like it was college all over again at Donny's place, a former JV who knows how to have a good time. We were introduced to the Donny at a meet and greet bar night with current and former JV's in the DC area, and yes, JV = Jesuit Volunters and DC = district of columbia. The party was good, good food, good company, and a good few awkward moments which result from putting people who are well out of college and those who just got out in the same party who don't really know each other. Donny, as we found out, works 3 hours at the local J Crew, solely for the discounts, and I've already picked out a dress shirt that I have (HAVE) to get. Now all i have to do is figure out what color to get... Anyhoo, today was pretty phenominal, work was work, lots of phone calls, filling of syringes with insulin, crushing of calcium tablets, and mindlessness galore. The moments when my ears perk up is when I get to do patient intakes, to be the first person who the patients see when the finally get past the waiting room. Today I also got a bike donated from a guy who I've met who works at a local financial firm, I was so excited to get it I spent about an hour cleaning it and getting it ready for its first trek tomorrow morning. I can't wait to take it out, its a beauty, nice light aluminum frame with good mountain tires that can take the crazy potholes that you can find around the city. I am getting better at city bicycling, its a steep but quick learning curve. Until tomorrow, I have orientation / a retreat where we're going to one of the SOME houses and getting fed for most of the day, I hope it goes well! until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment