Monday, June 7, 2010

Sunny goodness. California.


So here's an update, much has happened in the past month or so that I've been neglecting my blog, and like before, I'll start with what's going on today.



For the better part of the year, I've been planning a trip to make my way back to my roots - California. Since graduating, I had promised many of my friends that I'd suck it up, and make a flight back to Cali to see those who I'd spent up to four years with at Santa Clara University. What with all the excessive amount of traveling I've done this year, and the amazing gift that is frequent flier miles, I could actually afford the 'free' trip across the counrty.


So today, I write from the library on campus, in the midst of chaos, stress, sleepless nights, excessive caffeine intake, and nostalgia that comes with the last finals week of the year. Today begins the end of an era for 1/4 of the undergraduate population at SCU. Just one year ago, I was sitting here in the library, stressing out about my own exams. Now I've returned one year later and feel almost awkward being here without feeling like I have a test to study for. However, it isn't as weird as the feeling that I got immediately after graduating.



After graduation, everyone pretty much took of. Within 24 hours, the group that had coelesced 4 years prior, suddenly split apart. While everyone knew it was coming, there's something quite jarring about the world that you've created for yourself suddenly coming to an end. Oh, there's a bit of transition in the graduation ceremony, the parties, but once all that is over, and you're left wondering where the time went, you realize just how fleeting that entire experience was. The same thing goes for this past year, it makes me miss JVC already, despite having another 1.5 months of it left.


So back to today, and the trip. The plans for today are to go to Santa Cruz, with my friend Brian, in about an hour, to go surfing at Cowell's, the beginner's area for surfing. Brian has managed to buy his own board so we'll take turns on it. After that, I've invited a few friends to hang out on the beach to just relax, kick it, and just take in the rays (or just enjoy the warmth beneath some sun shield, as I will do).

I arrived here on Saturday, was picked up by my friend Alison and her BF. We visited Santana Row, checked out the Apple store (so I could scout out my prospective laptop for next year), ate some delicious Thai food, and played Apples with our friend Geoff and Kate. Yesterday I woke up pretty early despite getting maybe like 4 hours of sleep, went for a run, came back and had breakfast – exhausted, I forfeited my plans of going to the Sunnyvale Wine and Art Festival. Instead, I took a 1.5 hour coma. I woke up, and headed out to a surprise birthday party, and saw a few more friends. Alison and I sat for a good couple hours on the lawn outside the library, sipping on our cold beverages we got from the cafĂ© in the library, and I almost didn’t buy a drink because it just felt so weird to be paying for food on campus with cash.  Despite this feeling, my thirst prevailed. On the grass, we read, I journaled, we people watched, it was so relaxing.

So anyhoo, that’s an update on things so far, maybe I’ll be a bit more on top of this blogging thing as my year comes to a close. We’ll see, no promies!

No comments:

Post a Comment