Monday, March 8, 2010

Back in the Big Apple

This weekend was a whirlwind, if I could use one word to describe it, I couldn't. I'd need three: On the go.

Friday I made it out to go clubbing with some friends I have made in DC, which was a first for me in quite some time. It felt great to get out of the house and just let loose for an evening. I came back fairly late, after all had retired for the evening, then got up the next day and got myself packed for the weekend away.

Backpack - check
clothes - check
interview attire - check
deodorant/antiperspirant - most definitely
cash for expenses - check
computer + iPod - check
all necessary interview materials including AMCAS and thank you notes - check

I was ready to go

With that done, I got myself ready for the afternoon soccer game, which was the first one since the beginning of the season, due to our snowmagedon. It was a perfect day for soccer, sunny and brisk. I managed to fandangle a goal by shooting from beyond the penalty box, it was the only goal our team had during the game, which isn't to say we didn't have chances to score. Oh boy, did we have chances. I think about 5 shots either hit the crossbar or barely missed the net, it was a little difficult to watch. We ended up losing the game but I had a good time.

I got back home, showered, and finalized a few things before our car headed out, for the long trip to Raleigh.

It was a long ride, I'll leave it at that.

We made it, and I forgot to mention this earlier, but the reason for the trip in the first place was another one of the infamous JVC parties. We have a soft spot at the DC house, at least I do, for the Raleigh girls. They're a ton of fun and its just such a good time when they're around, plus they're just so sweet. It was great to see everyone again, well, not everyone, but a good number of people. Raleigh is the farthest south house that the JVC has in the east, and is a bit isolated because of its location. Its hard for people to make the drive out, being that just for us going from DC, the closest city, the ride took around 6 hours (partly due to traffic, but still). Thought with the people who went, we had a blast. I by no means feel like I got to know the city, I barely got to see it during the day.

While I did have a great time there, I got a healthy dose of what reality is like for a number of people in this country. Prior to this trip, I did not know many people who had been over to Iraq, or who were in the armed forces. I thought all that I needed to know about the lives of soldiers who went to Iraq came from The Hurt Locker. I was wrong. A few of us made the walk from the house to a local club and on that walk, I heard this guy's life story. For the sake of maintaining anonymity I'm leaving him nameless.

He grew up in the foster care system, never knew his parents, doesn't have anyone to call family. He struggled growing up, barely got by in school, didn't see much of a future for himself besides the army. He may have suffered abuse, been given a rough start to his life.

He joined the army. He was shipped to Iraq and described a number of horrific scenarios that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. He saw another soldier commit suicide because he couldn't take it anymore. He saw much more, and now has PTSD. He has two children at the age of 23, he divorced his wife who he married a few years ago because she cheated on him.

He asks me, why he can't seem to get a break meeting women when he tells them that he has kids. Why it seems like he can't really get anywhere. I didn't have a good response at the time, I was a bit to struck by his story to feel like I could offer any advice to him, being that I can't imagine what he's gone through. He asks me what he did wrong, where he messed up. From what he told me, I don't have an answer for him. I wish I did.

After hearing his story, it changed the tone for the rest of the evening so I headed back from the club right when I got there

Back at the house, I grabbed some blankets and a sleeping bag and slept on the floor.

The next morning, I was up pretty early. I had to catch a flight to New York City, so said my goodbyes and flew to the Big Apple, the excuse this time being another one of those medical school interviews, this one at NYMC.

After arriving and navigating the public transit from JFK International to Manhattan, I hung out with a good friend from high school, who I hadn't seen in AGES. We stopped by Columbia University, ate some amazing Gyros from a street vendor, which, despite what you may think about street vendors, was amazing and I can say that I have not had any gastrointestinal issues yet, knock on wood. We then attended an evening mass at her church, heard some of the most beautiful choral hymns I've listened to. I got goosebumps listening to them, they were that good.

I boarded the Harlem line, destination White Plains.

I arrived, was picked up by the medical student I was to stay with that night, and after picking up some much needed sustenance (Doughnuts and coffee), we drove to the campus.

I spent most of the evening watching the Oscars, then crashed on the couch.

The interview today went pretty well, I enjoyed the tour, the people, the campus. The sky was blue, the sun was out, and until I had finished my interview, I was unaware of it all. Only after, did I feel the relief.

Now, I'm on the Megabus, on my way back to DC, reflecting on my weekend. It'd been fun being on the go for the past month, but I'm getting a bit tired. Traveling is fun, and is all well and good, but after the high of meeting new people has gone, I find myself longing for the people who are back 'home.' I say 'home' because the term has changed so many times for me, as to where now I don't really associate 'home' with a physical place. Its a feeling. I have 'homes' in Washington State, Santa Clara, and now, Washington DC. In each of those places I have a network, people with whom I share a history. At each of those places, I felt (and feel) like I belonged. For better or for worse, I have many places that I call 'home.' I miss a great deal about each of the places, but mostly, I miss the people.

Like the Counting Crows say,


Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot


No comments:

Post a Comment